Monday 18 June 2007

Interview at 'All the Rage'


I was recently interviewed by Steven G. Saunders, who writes the popular 'All the Rage' feature at the Silver Bullet Comics website. Steven asked some particularly cogent questions, my answers to which will hopefully provide some insight into what Chris Steininger and I are attempting to do with our graphic novel. I've reprinted the entire interview here:

Indie Front: Beowulf and SubCulture

I'm a big fan of the classic Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf. When I found out Markosia would be releasing a 64-page graphic novel adaptation of it written by Stephen L. Stern (Zen Intergalactic Ninja) and illustrated by Christopher Steininger (The White Elephant) I just had to engage Mr. Stern in a battle to the bitter end!

Okay, it was just a Q&A. But it was fierce, okay?

ATR: Why BEOWULF?

SS: I suppose because I was an English major in college, and was captivated by it when I first read it. I've read the poem many, many times since, and I've never lost my fascination for it. It's simply—in my opinion, of course—the greatest heroic epic ever written, be it prose or poetry.

ATR: Why base the graphic novel on Seamus Heaney's translation?

SS: Having read several different translations over the years, I feel strongly that Heaney's is without compare. He's an amazing, Nobel prize-winning poet and he was clearly at the height of his powers when he translated BEOWULF. It's a masterpiece, clear and simple, and I knew that I wanted to base the graphic novel upon it.

ATR: Is it a direct adaptation, or did you get creative with it?

SS: Yes, and yes. It's as direct as one can get, but of course, I had to condense the work into a sixty-four page, highly cinematic graphic novel. The three key battles are there: Beowulf versus Grendel, Grendel's mother and the fire-breathing dragon. However, there's a great deal more to the story than its violence.

ATR: What can you expect from this latest adaptation?

SS: Well, as I said, it's very cinematic, and part of the sheer pleasure of this book is just looking at Chris Steininger's amazing artwork. This is some of the best, most expressive black-and-white art I've ever laid eyes on. Beowulf the man is the apotheosis of heroism, and I took pains to capture that. In the end, this is a very melancholy tale…even the greatest hero is ultimately brought down, if only by age. I believe that what will surprise readers is the emotive value of this story.

ATR: What was the process of putting this project together?

SS: Basically, I wrote the entire script over a period of about two months. I knew exactly how I wanted the action and the dialogue to flow, but I kept the scene descriptions as open as possible. I wanted Chris to bring all of his formidable talent to the work—and that he's done beyond my wildest expectations.

ATR: You have some excellent work behind you. What else are you going to hit us with in the future?

SS: Thanks for the compliment. I've got a 10-page story coming up in the HEAVY METAL SUMMER SPECIAL that will be out in July. It's a crossover of my character, Zen Intergalactic Ninja, with the British character Jack Brodie. The story leads into a graphic novel that will be out later in the year. There's also a Zen comic called BLOOD AND WAR which I wrote, that will be a Wizard World Exclusive at their Chicago Con in August. There's more, but let's leave it at that for now.

Thanks for answering those questions, Steve! I really can't wait to read this one.

1 comment:

Steve Cake said...

Incredible. I dreamt of Beowulf in a fitfull restless sleep the other night and awoke to a strange series of co-incidences involving the tale. I had a look at the Seamus Heaney translation in the library yesterday and it is definately the right soure for this.

Anyway, a link popped up for your graphic novel in the googleads on my own blog page and I couldn't resist following the link. I am a big reader and am going to seek out the book. Thanks for the sneak preview (no more?) and the continuing Beowulf synchronicity.